On the night of Feb. 12, 1905, a cook at the Battle House Hotel discovered a fire burning in a storage room located above the hotel’s kitchen. All 147 guests escaped the growing flames, but it was clear that the building was lost. In those freezing winter conditions, icicles formed from the water used to extinguish the flames. Three years later, in 1908, the famous hotel was rebuilt.
Original photo from the Historic Mobile Preservation Society, William E. Wilson Collection,
Minnie Mitchell Archives • Colorization by Dynamichrome Limited
- Sponsors -