Shrimp and Grits is the ultimate Southern comfort food. Fortunately, seafood lovers around the Bay area don't have to look too far to find a local restaurant with its own unique version of the dish. Here, the folks from Tacky Jacks share their go-to recipe. Serve with French bread or these cheesy beer muffins.
Tacky Jacks Shrimp and Grits
9 tablespoons butter, melted
3 1/2 pounds (70 – 90) raw shrimp, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
Cheese Grits (see below)
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1. Heat butter in sauté pan until melted. Add shrimp and sauté over medium heat. Add lemon pepper and cook for about 6 minutes, until shrimp are pink.
2. Immediately ladle over warm Cheese Grits. Garnish with chopped green onions on top.
9 cups water
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 cup Crystal Hot Sauce
1/4 teaspoon chicken base
1 cup butter blend
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pound quick grits
4 cups shredded cheddar-Jack cheese blend
1. Add water to large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add salt, hot sauce, chicken base, butter blend and garlic to boiling water. Stir well.
2. Stir in grits slowly, continuing to whisk until all grits are incorporated. Decrease the heat to low and cover.
3. Remove lid and whisk frequently, every couple of minutes, to prevent grits from sticking or forming lumps. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes or until mixture becomes creamy.
4. Remove from heat, and gradually whisk in the cheese a little at a time. Serves approximately 9.
Photo by Nicole Quinn