Friends don't let friends go hungry during the big game. Whether you are rooting for the Tide, Tigers or your hometown Jags, this spicy appetizer is the perfect addition to your football-watching party. Tip: make sure you refill your drink before you indulge!
STUFFED JALAPEÑO PEPPERS
33 large jalapeño peppers
1 pound spicy sausage
1 bunch green onions
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
or Worcestershire sauce
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound thin-sliced bacon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut off tops of jalapeños and remove seeds and membrane from insides using an apple corer. Be careful not to poke holes in sides of peppers. Drain on paper towels. (We recommend wearing gloves for this spicy project.)
2. Brown the sausage in a saucepan.
3. In a food processor finely chop onions. Add browned sausage and process until meat is finely chopped.
4. Add cream cheese, balsamic vinegar and garlic powder. Process until combined.
5. Stuff peppers with the sausage mixture using a jerky shooter, pastry bag or small spoon.
6. Cover top of each pepper with one-half slice of bacon, using a toothpick to secure.
7. Place in jalapeño pepper cooker or custard cups, making sure that peppers remain upright.
8. Bake for 1 – 1 1/2 hours. The longer they bake, the milder the spiciness factor. Makes about 10 servings.
Photo by Matthew Wood