1. Watermelon Margarita
Add some chips and salsa (we highly recommend this recipe for Salsa Fresca) and you're ready for game night.
1 cup watermelon, cubed and seeded
1/4 cup tequila
1 tablespoon Cointreau
2 tablespoons simple syrup
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 lime, sliced, for garnish
1. Pulse watermelon in a blender until liquified.
2. In a large cup or shaker, add watermelon purée, tequila, Cointreau, simple syrup and lime juice. Shake or stir with ice to combine.
3. Strain into an salt-rimmed glass and garnish with a lime slice. Makes 3 margaritas.
2. Watermelon Pizzas
A combination of sweet and savory, this fun dish makes for a refreshing appetizer.
1 large seedless watermelon, cut into round slices
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Feta cheese, crumbled
handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
1. Heat balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Sprinkle watermelon slices generously with feta and basil. Drizzle with reduction. Slice and serve immediately. Serves 6 – 8, depending on size of watermelon slices.
3. Grilled Shrimp and Watermelon Salad
Gulf shrimp and sweet watermelon are a blissful combination in this light and refreshing salad.
1 lb. jumbo Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 cup store-bought sweet Thai chili sauce
2 cups cubed watermelon
1 cup croutons
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/2 cup arugula
1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
skewers for grilling
1. Combine shrimp and 1/2 cup chili sauce in a medium bowl. Toss gently to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Thread shrimp onto four skewers. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Cook until shrimp are opaque, approximately 5 – 7 minutes, turning once. Tip: If using wooden skewers, submerge completely in water and let soak for 30 minutes before using to prevent charring.
3. In large serving bowl, lightly toss together watermelon, croutons, tomatoes, basil, arugula and Feta cheese.
4. In separate small bowl, whisk together remaining chili sauce, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper.
5. Remove shrimp from skewers and arrange on top of salad. Drizzle half of vinaigrette over salad, tossing gently. Serve with remaining vinaigrette on the side. Serves 4.
4. Spiked Hawaiian Sorbet
This fruity concoction is the perfect way to finish off an outdoor dinner party.
3 1/2 cups watermelon, cut into small chunks
1 small can pineapple juice
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup grenadine
3/4 cup rum
1. Add watermelon, pineapple juice, lime juice, grenadine and rum to blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze, according to the manufacturer's instructions, for about 30 – 35 minutes, or until solid. Garnish with a lime slice and enjoy.
5. Watermelon Ice Cream
Let the little ones in on the ice cream fun with this kid-friendly batch of watermelon ice cream. Right before serving, sprinkle in a few mini chocolate chips to look like seeds.
3 cups watermelon purée
2 cups cream
1/2 cup sugar, more or less to taste
1. Blend all of the ingredients. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze until solid. Add in chocolate chips or garnish with extra watermelon chunks.
6. Watermelon Cake
With a recipe this healthy, you can actually have your cake and eat it too.
1 whole seedless watermelon (7 -10 pounds)
1 cup cold milk
1 (3.5 oz) package instant French Vanilla pudding
1 (8 oz.) tub whipped topping
1 pint strawberries
1/2 pint blueberries
1/2 pint raspberries
1. Wash and dry the uncut watermelon. Generously cut the narrow rounded ends off the watermelon so that the watermelon has a flat top and bottom (like a normal one-layer cake). With one of the cut ends down on a cutting board, slice away the rind from the sides of the watermelon, leaving only the inside in the shape of a cake. Gently pat the melon dry with paper towels. Set aside.
2. For the frosting, whisk milk and pudding mix until pudding begins to thicken. Fold in Cool Whip until combined. Fold carefully to keep it light and fluffy. Ice sides and top of watermelon “cake” with frosting.
3. Slice strawberries and place along the base of the cake. Decorate the top with the raspberries and blueberries. Slice cake and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.