1. Gaillard Island was named for environmental scientist Wilson Gaillard who envisioned the landmass as a safe haven for the endangered brown pelican. Learn more about the other Gaillards in “What's in a Name?” by our own intern, Gaillard Teague.
2. Elvis Presley once stayed at the Battle House Hotel. And, it was there that he met his bodyguard, Mobile native Jessie Taylor. Find out more about this incredible local in our new series, “Amazing Life.”
3. Figs are a summertime staple along the Gulf Coast, and according to our gardening guru, Bill Finch, the two varieties that are most popular here are the Celeste and Brown Turkey. Be sure to pluck a few while they’re ripe this month.
4. Winston Groom, Bobby Kennedy Jr., Jimmy Buffett and Miss America have all stayed at the Bacon home on Mobile Bay. Learn more about their shenanigans on the property in “If Walls Could Talk.”
5. A number of local bars and restaurants welcome you to bring your furry friend with you for Friday night beer and burgers or Sunday morning brunch. Check out this month’s map for a list of pup-friendly eateries!
Click here for a list of where you can buy a copy of the June issue
Text by Lawren Largue