Almond Miniature Muffins
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 eggs, divided
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1 cup butter
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat cream cheese, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons sugar and orange rind together. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
3. Stir flour and baking powder together. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter and sugar mixture, starting and ending with flour. Add almond extract and fold in almonds.
4. Fill each lightly greased muffin tin half full with muffin batter. Spoon a small spoonful (about 1/2 teaspoon) of cream cheese filling in each tin and top with remaining batter.
5. Bake about 8 – 12 minutes. Makes approximately 5 dozen mini muffins
RELATED: 10 Festive Mardi Gras Recipes