That designated district, located south of Government Street, is named for the historic public school located on Church Street.
Emma Langdon Roche (1878 - 1945) once described herself as an “artist, writer, housekeeper and farmer.” In retrospect, she could well be termed Mobile’s “Renaissance Woman.”
“Skull Island” or “Massacre Island” were names given to what we have long known as Dauphin Island.
Although Mobile’s First National Bank will long be identified with the skyscraper which is now home to the New Year’s MoonPie, the bank had a few former homes.
Although routinely missing from a list of his creations, the Battle House Hotel was designed by renowned architect Frank Mills Andrews in 1906.
The lead character, social climber Bertha Russell, was certainly inspired in part by Mobile-born Alva Smith Vanderbilt.
Girls’ Preparatory School would probably have enjoyed a long run, but the stock market crash and untimely death of the school's founder caused the institution to close its doors.
Stocking Street in the Leinkauf District was actually named for John Stocking, who served as Mobile’s mayor from 1831 to 1834.
Like other hotels in Mobile, the St. Andrew flourished during severe housing shortages during World War II.
St. Joseph’s Church was dedicated in 1908 and has been vacant since 2018. The parish itself has a much longer history, however.