Tag: Mobile History
In honor of Mobile’s rum-running history, MB shares a refreshing cocktail recipe that was made for sipping beside the shores of the Gulf of Mexico all summer long.
The Chin Family’s story spans from China to Mobile, where they became integral community members and business owners
According to the May 3, 1903 edition of the Mobile Press-Register, the new Spring Hill Hotel was under construction on the south side of Old Shell Road, just east of today’s McGregor Avenue.
John Augustus Walker changed the world of float design and made Mobile’s Mardi Gras a sight to behold.
A decade ago, MB asked historian John Sledge to share his personal restoration wish list. Happily, the intervening decade has been a strong one for historic preservation in Mobile. Allow us as a brief review of the successes of the past 10 years and a look at what remains in peril.
The 12-story hotel was opened in November 1940, and named in honor of Mobile’s Admiral Raphael Semmes. It had been constructed over a course of 15 months at a total cost of $1 million — well over $21 million in today’s dollars.
Turn back time with this 1930s photograph of the novel gas station that once stood on the northwest corner of Government and Dearborn streets.
Meet the midwife who battled Bienville when Mobile was the capital of French Louisiana.
“Skull Island” or “Massacre Island” were names given to what we have long known as Dauphin Island.